Choose from one of two ways to get to Hakuba from Narita. We recommend the bullet train, unless you are on a budget, then we would go with the bus.
Express train + Shinkansen + Bus
The fastest way to reach Hakuba from Narita is to take the Keisei Skyliner express train from Narita to Ueno (41 mins) and at Ueno switch to the Shinkansen to Nagano Station and then take the bus to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 4 hours, cost ¥12,260.
- Once you clear customs, check with Jorudan for the best route and times and proceed to the Skyliner ticket desk just outside customs.
- At the Skyliner desk you can only purchase a Skyliner ticket to Ueno as they are not part of the Japan Railway Group, so you will need to buy your bullet train ticket in Ueno. (the Skyliner now has free Wifi)
- If you want a chance of getting a better seat, you can take the Narita Express from Narita to Tokyo Station which is the starting point for the bullet train to Nagano. The drawback is that it takes a bit longer and Tokyo Station is a busier than Ueno Station.
- Once you arrive at Ueno, follow the signs pointing to the JR Station where you can purchase you shinkansen tickets and board the train bound for Nagano Station.
- From Nagano Station, you can either take the bus or a chartered taxi. (please see about - Nagano to Hakuba)
Shared or Chartered Taxi
There are now two taxi companies offering a chartered taxi service from Narita, with a Toyota HiAce van meeting your party at the airport and transferring you to the front door of your Hakuba accommodation. Estimated time and cost: 5 to 6 hours, ¥111,300 for the chartered jumbo taxi.
- For groups of 7 adults or more, the taxi is chartered, meaning your taxi is private and there is no waiting for other passengers.
- Groups smaller than 7 adults can secure a chartered taxi by paying the rate for 7 adults, thus ensuring that you do not need to wait for any other parties. Only Chuo Taxi offers the shared taxi at a rate of ¥15,900 for adults, ¥11,800 for children 12 and under and ¥6,100 for children 6 and under.
|Company||Up to 7 Passengers|
If your flight time matches up with a bus departure, the Nagano Snow Shuttle is a convenient and cheaper alternative way to get to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 5 to 6 hours, adult: ¥9500, children aged 12 and under: ¥8500, children aged 3 and under: free with no assigned seat. Alpico Bus also has a daily bus leaving Narita Airport at 11:00 in the morning.
|Nagano Snow Shuttle||Narita Terminal 2||9:15||15:00||Hakuba Base Camp||¥9,500||¥8,500|
|Alpico||Narita Terminal 2||11:00||16:55||Happo Bus Terminal||¥9,500||¥7,500|
|Nagano Snow Shuttle||Narita Terminal 2||12:00||17:45||Hakuba Base Camp||¥9,500||¥8,500|
|Nagano Snow Shuttle||Narita Terminal 2||15:00||20:45||Hakuba Base Camp||¥9,500||¥8,500|
|Nagano Snow Shuttle||Narita Terminal 2||20:30||1:30||Hakuba Base Camp||¥9,500||¥8,500|
Rent a car at Narita and drive to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 4 hours, cost depends on car size, but a Toyota Noah will run you around ¥18,000 per day from Toyota Rent a Car. Tolls are approximately ¥8,430 if you use the toll road.
Please remember that if you are coming to Hakuba in the winter time that you will need to reserve winter tyres as a special option with availability depending on the pick-up location.