Choose from one of five ways to get to Hakuba from Tokyo. For those looking for ease, we recommend the bullet train + bus route; however, if you’re on a budget, the bus is the most economical.
Bullet Train + Bus from Nagano to Hakuba
Bullet train from Tokyo Station to Nagano Station, transfer to the bus from Nagano to Hakuba. This is the fastest way to reach Hakuba from Tokyo. Estimated time and cost for both the bullet train and bus: 3 hours, ¥10,400 per adult and ¥5,200 per child.
- Take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagano Station from Tokyo or Ueno. For precise times, fares and platform numbers, check with Jorudan or Google Maps. To reserve your Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano Station, please use this service.
- At Nagano Station, go to the east exit and find bus stop #26. The bus bound for Hakuba destinations leaves roughly every hour from 8:20 to 20:00 and cost ¥2000 per adult and ¥1000 per child. Please check Nagano to Hakuba for the bus timetable.
- Please remember that the last departing bus to Hakuba from Nagano Station is around 20:00, and you have no public transport options to Hakuba after this time.
Express Train from Tokyo to Hakuba
Direct express train (Azusa) from Shinjuku to/from Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 3 hours 41 minutes, ¥8,050 for adults (12 and older) and ¥4,290 for kids between the ages of 6-11. Children aged 5 and under are free if you are sitting in non-reserved seating.
- Azusa 5: Leaves daily at 8:00 from Shinjuku Station (platform 9) and goes directly to Hakuba Station, arriving at 11:41.
- Azusa 46: The only direct train (no switching) leaving daily Hakuba at 15:16 and arriving at Shinjuku Station at 19:06 (platform 10).
Tokyo to Hakuba Bus
Overall the Alpico Bus is the cheapest method of transportation from Tokyo to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 5 hours, ¥5200 per adult and ¥2600 per child.
- Without traffic, the ride is 5 hours with two rest stops along the way. During holidays and weekend commuting times, be prepared for delays.
- The bus terminal is directly connected to the JR Shinjuku Station New South Gate or right across the street from the South exit. For precise times and fares, please check with Japan Bus Online. The Bus departs from the 4F and arrives on the 3F.
|Keio||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||7:35||12:48||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,900||¥2,450|
|Keio||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||10:25||15:38||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,900||¥2,450|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||15:05||20:18||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,900||¥2,450|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||23:05||6:23||Happo Bus Terminal||¥6,300||¥3,850|
|JamJam||Tokyo Station||24:20||6:30||Happo Lawson Store||¥4,500~||¥3,000~|
Chartered Taxi from Tokyo to Hakuba
|Company||Up to 7 Passengers|
Car Rental from Tokyo to Hakuba
Rent a car in Tokyo and drive to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 3 h 30 min, rate depends on car size, but a Toyota Noah will run you around ¥20,500 per day from Toyota Rent a Car. Tolls are approximately ¥7,380 if you use the toll road.
Please remember that if you are coming to Hakuba in the wintertime, you will need to reserve 4WD, winter tyres as a special option with availability depending on the pick-up location.