Choose from one of five ways to get to Hakuba from Tokyo. For those looking for ease, we recommend the bullet train + bus route; however, if you’re on a budget, the bus is the most economical.
Bullet Train + Bus
Bullet train from Tokyo Station to Nagano Station, transfer to the bus from Nagano to Hakuba. This is the easiest way to reach Hakuba from Tokyo. Estimated time and cost for both the bullet train and bus: 3 hours, ¥10,000 per adult and ¥5,900 per child.
- Take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagano Station from Tokyo or Ueno. For precise times, fares and platform numbers check with Jorudan. For tips on reserving train tickets, please read this article.
- At Nagano Station, go to the east exit and find bus stop #26. The bus bound for Hakuba destinations leaves roughly every hour from 8:20 to 20:00 and cost ¥1800 per adult and ¥900 per child. Please check Nagano to Hakuba for the bus timetable.
- Please remember that the last departing bus to Hakuba from Nagano Station is around 20:00 and you have no public transport options to Hakuba after this time.
Direct express train (Azusa 3) from Shinjuku to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 4 hours, ¥8300.
- Leaves daily at 7:30 from Shinjuku Station and goes directly to Hakuba Station arriving at 11:28.
- This is also a great way to get back to Tokyo with the only direct train (no switching) leaving Hakuba at 14:37 and arriving at Shinjuku Station at 18:36.
Overall the Alpico Bus is the cheapest method of transportation from Tokyo to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 5 hours, ¥4850 per adult and ¥2430 per child.
- Without traffic, the ride is 5 hours with two rest stops along the way. During holidays and weekend commuting times, be prepared for delays.
- To find the bus terminal, exit Shinjuku Station using the west exit and follow the signs or exit on the street level, then cross the street and turn left, go one block and turn right. The terminal is across from Yodobashi Camera. For precise times and fares, please check with Japan Bus Online.
|Keio||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||7:35||12:48||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,850||¥2,430|
|Keio||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||9:35||14:48||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,850||¥2,430|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||10:25||15:38||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,850||¥2,430|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||15:05||20:18||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,850||¥2,430|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||19:05||00:18||Happo Bus Terminal||¥4,850||¥2,430|
|Alpico||Shinjuku Bus Terminal||23:05||06:23||Happo Bus Terminal||¥6,200||¥3,100|
|Alpico||Tokyo Station||22:40||7:00||Happo Bus Terminal||¥6,600||¥3,300|
|JamJam||Tokyo Station||24:20||6:40||Happo Bus Terminal||¥6,000||¥3,000|
|Company||Up to 7 Passangers|
Rent a car in Tokyo and drive to Hakuba. Estimated time and cost: 3 h 15 min, rate depends on car size, but a Toyota Noah will run you around ¥18,000 per day from Toyota Rent a Car. Tolls are approximately ¥7,320 if you use the toll road.
Please remember that if you are coming to Hakuba in the winter time that you will need to reserve winter tyres as a special option with availability depending on the pick-up location.